Ingredients for making apricot jam
- Fresh ripe apricots 1 kilogram
- Sugar (the amount is comparable with the amount of chopped apricots in a proportion of 400 grams to 1 kilogram) 400 grams
- Citric acid 1 teaspoon without slide
- Vanillin 1-2 sachets
- Main IngredientsApricot, Sugar
- Serving 7 servings
Inventory:Large aluminum pan with lid or deep aluminum bowl, Cooker, Strainer, Knife, Cutting board, Teaspoon, Tablespoon, Wooden spoon, Half-liter glass jar, Large towel or bedspread, Sealing lid, Elastic band for the lid, Key for seaming, medium-sized casserole, small casserole, deep plate, flat screen or wire rack from the oven (for sterilizing cans), kitchen scales, two fabric towels
Cooking apricot jam:
Step 1: prepare the apricots.For the recipe, we take 1 kilogram of fresh apricots. After processing, their number will significantly decrease - 2 times. Therefore, if you want to cook a lot of jam, you must adhere to the appropriate proportions according to the recipe. So, first of all, we wash the apricots well under running warm water. Put the pure ingredient in a deep bowl. With a knife, cut the apricots in half into two slices. And now, with clean hands or a knife on a cutting board, we get the bones from the fruits. We do not throw out the cores, but put them aside in a deep plate. Put the apricot halves in a deep large saucepan. Apricots must be ripe, but in no case rotted. Therefore, we carefully sort through each apricot, cut off the damaged places with a knife and throw it away. We put the pan on a small fire and simmer under the lid until the fruits are soft and let the juice go. To prevent apricots from burning at the bottom of the container, you can add quite a bit of water and occasionally mix them with a spoon. After that, turn off the burner and go to the next moment. We need to separate the skin from the apricot pulp. To do this, open the lid of the pan and let our ingredient cool slightly. In general, this jam is called "marmalade" in Bulgaria. Most likely, this is because preservation is practically obtained without fruit pieces, like jam. So, put a spoon in a sieve over a deep bowl with a little half of apricot halves and, pressing the spoon on the fruits, wipe them through the inventory so that only the skins remain on the surface of the sieve. Attention: Now you need to weigh the apricot mass again using a kitchen scale, so as not to overdo it with other components. According to the recipe for 1 kilogram of such a mass, you need to add 400 grams of sugar.
Step 2: cook the apricot jam.One of the most painstaking moments of cooking jam has already been completed. Now move on to the next step. We put a pan or bowl with our main component on medium heat and evaporate the apricot mass 25-30 minutesstirring with a wooden spoon every 2-3 minutes. The amount of time depends on the amount of mass. As soon as the apricot ingredient becomes thick, and liquid evaporates on its surface, add sugar with a tablespoon. We make a small fire and continue to cook until the sugar is completely dissolved and a thick jam is formed. Every 2-3 minutes continue to stir the apricot mass with a spoon so that it does not burn. And you can check the readiness of jam in this way: with a spoon, pour a little fruit mixture into a plate. And if the jam does not spread, then it is ready! 5 minutes before readiness do not forget to add a teaspoon of citric acid, adhering to the proportions (1 teaspoon per 1 kilogram of chopped steamed apricots). Mix well again with a spoon. And in the end, when we remove the jam from the stove, add a bag of vanillin and mix again.
Step 3: sterilize the jars.There are so many ways to sterilize cans. This can be done using the oven, and microwave, and using a double boiler, and in the dishwasher. But we will use the old grandmother's method! So, pour a little water into the middle pan. We put the container on a big fire and after boiling water - we make an average fire. On top of the pan we place either a flat sieve or a grate from the oven. In a word, we put clean cans upside down so that they stand well on the surface and do not fall in the process. If you process several cans at once, put them at a small distance from each other so that they do not hit. Why do this at all? There are many micro and microorganisms that live on any surface. Therefore, if it is bad to handle the container for preservation and not to keep hands and fruits clean, these organisms in the process of their activity release toxins and lead to poisoning of our body. In the best case, banks can explode. So, we sterilize a container for a couple about 15 minutes until the droplets in the jar begin to flow down the walls. After that, we gently rearrange the cans with a cloth towel on a clean surface of the table covered with a cloth or another towel. Banks do not turn upside down. In this condition, they can be stored for up to two days. Only in no case do not touch them with dirty objects and do not turn containers until their time comes. Now boil the lids and gum in a small pot of water up to 15 minutes. If the cans can be sterilized in advance, then the lids need to be boiled just before rolling. When everything is ready, pour a tablespoon of apricot jam in clean jars. Using the seaming key, we close the containers well with lids. To do this, put the elastic in the lid along the inner edge, cover the jar and work tightly in circular motions with a special key. Our jam should be infused and fully become room temperature. Therefore, we turn it upside down and put it on the edge of a large towel or bedspread in some secluded place where no one will disturb him. We cover the closed banks with the other side of the bedspread so that the jam cools down slowly. It all takes somewhere 2-3 days. And only after that we put our apricot jam to another roll.
Step 4: serve the apricot jam.We have worked hard and deserve a pleasant rest over a cup of tea with a spoonful of this fragrant jam! Usually canned food is harvested for the winter. But you do not have to wait for this season, you can treat yourself in the warm season. In this case, we serve the jam with small pieces of bread, and it will also serve as a delicious filling for homemade pies and bagels. Bon appetit and sweet rest!
- - Regarding the selection of cans and lids for preservation! Before processing this inventory, be sure to inspect all the cans so that they do not have cracks, chips, or other flaws. Covers should only be new and even. If you use metal covers, then there should be no rust on them and a completely new rubber band should be attached.
- - When using a jam container, be sure to use an aluminum bowl or pan. Thanks to this inventory, jam will not stick to the bottom, and then you will have less work with cleaning dishes.
- - It is very important to adhere to the proportions of the recipe! All ingredients are equal in weight to the processed apricot mixture.
- - But apricot kernels can not be thrown away. There are two options for which they can still come in handy! First - they can be dried, and then just eat it! Such seeds contain vitamin B17. It is very useful and protects our body from cancer cells! But to consume them in large quantities is also not safe! Before use, it is necessary to remove the skin from the seeds with a knife, since it contains acid harmful to the body, which can lead to poisoning of the body with serious consequences. And the second option is to pre-peel the seeds from the shell with a hammer and 15 minutes before the apricot jam is ready, add them to the pan with the mass, mixing everything well with a spatula.