Ingredients for Making Orange Compote
- Oranges ripe, juicy 2 kilograms
- Sugar 900 grams
- Flower honey 200 grams
- Distilled pure water 4, 5 liters
- Main Ingredients: Orange, Sugar
- Serving 2 servings
- World CuisineAsian, Oriental
Inventory:Three liter jar - 2 pieces, Metal lids for preservation - 2 pieces, Kettle, Plate, Tongs for preservation, Bowl, Plate, Knife for zest, Knife, Cutting board, Deep pan, Sieve, Deep bowl, Plastic lid with round holes, Waffle towel - 3 pieces, Woolen blanket, Glass
Preparation of orange compote:
Step 1: prepare the inventory.First of all, we prepare the cans and lids for preservation, rinse them under running water with a small amount of detergent using a sponge with a rough surface. Thoroughly rinse the cans, lids and all the equipment that will be used in the preparation of the compote, so that not a drop of detergent or various dirt remains on them. If you do not want to wash the cans and lids with chemical substances, take baking soda, put it on the sponge and rub it into the lids and walls of the cans in a circular, quick motion. As you know, soda perfectly rinses even very difficult to clean places from any pollution. On the stove, turned on, on a medium level we put a kettle with ordinary running water. Put in it 2 metal coversintended for conservation. When the kettle begins to boil, we take a liter jar and place it with its neck down in the round opening of the kettle, so that its neck completely fits into its opening. From inside the bank began to be covered in pairs. Sterilization has begun, in such a tricky way we sterilize the number of cans we need, each individually approximately from 10 to 15 minutes. We carefully place the cans ready for preservation using a clean waffle towel with the neck down on a table covered with a second waffle towel. Lids were sterilized approximately 25-30 minutesTherefore, they will not need to be re-sterilized. We take out the lids from the kettle using forceps for preservation, put in a separate clean bowl and pour boiling water in which they were sterilized. We again fill the kettle with running water and bring it to a boil on a stove included in a strong level. We process all clean inventory with hot water, so we sterilize the entire surface of the dishes that will come in contact with food.
Step 2: prepare the oranges.
Step 3: boil the syrup.
Step 4: second filling and preserving.
Step 5: serve the orange compote.
- - If you have taken very sweet oranges, you can reduce the amount of sugar and add a little citric acid.
- - In an orange compote for lovers of a variety of flavors, you can add spices such as 1 stick of vanilla and 1 stick of cinnamon in 2 three-liter jars.
- - You can make an orange compote with the addition of various fruits, apples, lemon raspberries or strawberries. Before use, apples should be washed, peeled, cut into small pieces, sprinkled with 100 grams of sugar, allowed to infuse for 10 minutes, cook in sugar syrup for 15 minutes and only then add them together with syrup in jars of oranges. Strawberries and raspberries are simply washed and put in jars at the same time as an orange. The lemon is simply peeled, finely chopped and put together with the prepared orange, but if you decide to add the lemon, then you need to add another 200 - 300 grams to the whole mass of sugar.
- - In this type of compote, the choice of oranges is very important. They should be ripe but not overripe, juicy in order to let in a sufficient amount of juice and compensate for the empty space in the bank. If you took dry oranges and they gave less juice than you expected do not worry, just put a kettle on the stove with the amount of water you need, boil the water for 15 minutes and pour in the jars of oranges not enough liquid.
- - Do not cook the orange zest longer than necessary, you risk making a compote with a bitter taste, 15 minutes is the normal time, the syrup will not have time to start bitter, but will have time to absorb the aroma of orange peels.
- - If you do not have a plastic cover - a watering can, you can simplify the issue of pouring syrup into a pan with a waffle towel. It’s very simple to take a towel, twist it into a tourniquet, put it on the surface of the can so that there is a small gap between the lid and the neck of the can, take the two ends of the towel, pull them on the sides of the can and, holding with your hands, tilt it away from you. A towel will hold the jar and lid at the top, and you will control the process of holding the jar on the sides with your hands. The liquid will pour in a thin stream, and the cover will not fall.
- - If you don’t have tongs for canning, it’s okay. This equipment can be replaced with an ordinary clean table fork, just pry the cap with its prong and pull it out of the water.